The School of Engineering was established on January 27, 1977 ( BOR Res. No. 1197, s. 1977) with initial offerings in Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical Engineering (BSMetE) and Bachelor of Science and Electronics and Communications Engineering (BSECE).
In July 12, 1968, President Marcos signed the law establishing the Iligan Institute of Technology as integral part if the Mindanao State University system. This effectively abolished the Northern Mindanao Institute of Technology, earlier created by law (1965) but never gained existence.
The College of Computer Studies (CCS) was formally established through Special Order 511 IIT Series of 2002, Implementing Rules and Regulations for BOR Resolution Number 392 Series of 2002 Authorizing the Operationalization of the Information and Communication Technology Center (ICTC) on October 3, 2002.
Established in 1985, the CED was born by virtue of the MSU-Reorganization Plan which was approved by BOR Resolution no. 18 s 1984 s.o. no. 885. The College evolved from a merging of three schools: the School of Industrial Education; the School of Physical Education and the Developmental High School which served as its laboratory school.
The College of Arts and Social Sciences started in 1971 with the creation of Department of Professional and Technical Education. It was renamed the Department of General Education in 1974.
In the 1st Semester of SY 1967-1968, the Mindanao State University opened the MSU Extension Division in the former Lanao Technical School at Tibanga, Iligan City and initially offered the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Major in Accounting.
The humble beginnings of the MSU-IIT College of Nursing began sometime in 2003, when Dr. Arnulfo P. Supe, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, conceived the opening of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing program in MSU-Iligan Institute of Technology.